Thursday, February 21, 2013

The How and Why of Tears

That last test was brutal. I can't say I've ever failed a test before. I literally went home and cried a little bit. So why are there tears when we cry? What causes them? Our eyes are mostly water, right, so they don't necessarily need any more.

There are actually three different kinds of tears. Ones that are always there, reflex tears (like when we get dirt in our eye or are poked), and emotional tears. It's actually been found that tears get rid of hormones in order to reduce our level of stress.

But why, exactly, do we cry? According to William H. Frey, people feel better after crying. Which I guess makes sense, because we cry when we're frustrated or sad or in pain. It's possible that crying gets rid of all the bad feelings through tears. Tears can also be a sign to others that we are in pain or upset, especially before language is developed. It's essentially a form of communication.







5 comments:

  1. I will agree it was a pretty rough test but I have faith that we will bounce back. I agree crying does release stress. You would be lying if you said you never cry because everyone does have their moment. I have seen people cry that I never in my life would have though they cry but like I said everyone has their time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was a pretty bad test. I think its really interesting how crying actually releases hormones in order to help lower our stress level, usually when I cry it just feels like I'm getting more unreasonable and ridiculous... but then again I am a teenage girl. I really do agree that crying is form of communication, because everyone knows something is wrong with a person if they're bawling their eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that the test was pretty rough! Also, I agree that crying releases stress and can help you feel better. Sometimes, you need to cry to feel a little better. Crying is something that everyone does. The reason that it makes you feel better is because it releases hormones. I feel that all three types of tears are important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That test was hard and i really studied for a long time. but that video was interesting that crying releases the stress. when i cry....that doesn't happen. maybe it happens to other people. When my uncle and grandma died of cancer it was a way of commutation between me, my sister and my mom. But when you see someone cry and they say its nothing...its something

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't cry!!! It's just school . . . it isn't worth crying about, trust me.
    I understand that people feel better after they cry. But there are more productive things to do than sit there and wallow in pools of self-pity. I personally think it would be better to do something like write in a journal or kick box or eat chocolate. Or do all three simultaneously. I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure all of those would produce oodles of hormones! :)

    ReplyDelete