Thursday, February 14, 2013

Preemie Development

My sister was 3 months premature when she was born. Reading about infant development made me wonder about whether premature babies develop in the same space of time as a baby born around 9 months, or if they even have devolpment similarities at all.

An article that I found about preemie development recommends using an adjusted age to determine the baby's current developmental stage. Since my sister was 3 months early, suppose she is 5 months old now, her actual age would be 2 months old. Using that age, her developmental stage can be concluded. Knowing this, I now know that premature babies develop at a slower rate than babies born on the due date.

This doesn't last throughout the child's entire life. By age 2, they have caught up. This makes me think that there is an increase in developmental speed towards that time.

5 comments:

  1. It is interesting that even though they are premature they advance through their first two years faster than a non premature baby. One would think they advance slower because they are premature but if they catch up to the level non premature babies are at by age two they are advancing faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty interesting, I guess I didn't realize that being born premature can affect development rate. My cousin was a preemie too, but she is pretty darn smart now, so I think it's very true that preemies' catch up by age 2. The fact that they can make up those three months shows just how fast your brain is developing when you're a child. Babies are truly sponges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article you found was really interesting. I think that is amazing that premature babies are able to catch up to babies who were in the womb for 9 months in a mere 2 years. The article did leave me wondering about a few things. Are premature babies less developed physically, socially, and mentally, and how do they get catch to their peers. I was born two month premature and throughout childhood I was caught up to my peers in social and mental development but not physical development (height and weight). I think that it would be interesting to learn more about Pre-mature development in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother was born 2 months premature, and it was very easy to notice how he was much smaller and quieter than other babies. He definitely caught up - now he's taller (and more mature I must say) than my other brother, who is three years older than him.

    P.S. I thought the title of this post was "Penis Development". I kind of thought you might be going insane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is intersting that they can catch up at 2 years old. i thought that it woild take them a long process to be a normal size for them.

    ReplyDelete